Short answer is no. Officers tend to ask to search your car or house in sneaky ways such as:
- Do you have anything in the car that you shouldn’t have?
- Do you have anything illegal in the car?
- Let me check your car really quickly.
- Step out of the car, do you have anything that could get you in trouble in the car?
- The police K-9 is on the way, will you agree to wait?
You will NOT get a pass for honesty! You will not get released just because you told him about a small amount of marijuana. This admission to drug use will be used as probable cause for the search of your vehicle. Do not admit to smoking, do not admit to drinking alcohol, do not admit to having anything illegal in your car.
If the office asks you questions about what they find, ask for a lawyer and refuse to answer any more questions.
You can respectfully decline a search in the following ways:
- I’m sorry I am running late to meet someone, I cannot consent
- I’m sorry I have been advised by my attorney to say no to all searches
- I will not agree to any searches, and I wish to speak to my lawyer
- I’m sorry I won’t wait for the K-9
Call Clarissa Fernandez Pratt, Attorney at Law at 210-417-4590 for more helpful tips.